May 5, 2021

Vishu 2020

The case of the duck

So kiddo and me are setting the kani for today morning.. she is as enthusiastic as a 4 year old would be.. and dropping and spilling things, much to my dismay..
So she asks me - Amma, why do we keep vellarakka, bananas, mangoes and not any other fruits and vegetables..(I had a few other things, but they didn't look photo-worthy, yeah I am pretentious, that way)
Anyhow, so I come with a brilliant (partly fact) explanation, usually all yellow, golden things are kept as kani.. so when you see them first thing in the morning.. in the vilakku light, you see everything as a lovely yellow, golden hue.. and that is meant to show prosperity for the year to come.. then I tell her.. see the konna-poovu, that's yellow, and she pitches in.. yes our vilakku and ashtamangalyam set is golden.. and on and on we go..
So, we are almost done, the stage.. err.. the kani is set.. and she brings this random toy of hers.. a yellow plastic duck.. and says.. so we can keep this yellow duck also for the yellow, golden light, eh?

Wishing all of you a very Happy yellow Vishu!

#kiddo #boltibandh #vishukani #kiddokathas

No comments: